Wednesday, June 4, 2008

You Can't Make This Shit Up! The Lifespan Of Flies!

GENEVA (AFP) - It doesn't pay to be smart and ignorance really is bliss if you want a long life -- at least if you're a fly, according to new research by a Swiss university."

This Swiss study is almost beyond comment it's so ridiculous. I had to do a double-take when I saw the caption. I suppose the pencil pushers in our American Universities do have separate but equal counterparts in Switzerland who can think of nothing better to do than waste money on absurd studies such as this.

The link below leads to a study concerning the lifespan of flies and its relevance to their intelligence. I'm not kidding. It's just what the world hungered for. I wonder what the original intention was for this study? To find out the actual lifespan of flies or to see if the average fly can do simple math without a calculator?

When I read the article below I thought of the movie Falling Down and the scene where Michael Douglas fires an RPG round into a Government Public Works Project. His main complaint and reason for firing the shell - Government waste and justifications for overblown budgets. I firmly believe many of these University Science departments exist only to perpetuate themselves and their budgets and have very little to do with beneficial research. Where is William Proxmire and the Golden Fleece Award when you need him?

I wonder how many wonderful and deserving young students every year miss out on scholarships because Universities waste their budgets on breathtakingly stupid shit such as this. I won't even go into the Athletic Scholarships that end up being College bankrolled versions of the Minor Leagues for the NBA and the NFL and almost nothing to do with education. That's another rant for another time.

No comments: