Monday, August 31, 2009

Psychics or Psychos? Anecdote To Follow...

From Yahoo.... "Jaycee Dugard Abduction Case Highlights Failure of Psychics"

The link from Yahoo below points out a scientific fact that television and movies have conveniently ignored for many years. Psychics have never solved a criminal case. Period. I suggest you read the Yahoo article below before it disappears. My point is in the little story below...

About fifteen years ago I was employed in a small shop here in San Pedro working as a tech/shop manager. We had some odd customers and they were often a source of amusement. Think of the great television show Cheers only the setting was in a auto repair facility. Anyway, one day I had a timing belt to replace on a young woman's car. It was a simple job on a Ford Pinto with a four cylinder engine. The customer had nothing better to do so she waited for the car as I did the repair.

As I worked on her car she told me she was employed part time as an "Exotic Dancer" in one of the local strip clubs. She was a bit of an eccentric to say the least. As I worked on her car she also happened to tell me she had Psychic abilities. Now I, Greasywrench, believe in such things about as much as I believe in the Easter Bunny. But not having anything better to do as I worked on her Pinto, I humored her.

After some time listening to her brag about her "powers" she started blathering about Astrology. That's another subject I have no use for. Anyway, she began with the old "what's your sign" bullshit. "I'll bet I can guess" she said. After about ten incorrect guesses in a row she finally (thanks to the law of mathematical averages) hits on the right sign - I'm a Scorpio.

Well what the fuck does she do after finally guessing my sign? She started hopping up and down as if she had a jumping bean suppository up her ass and blathered "I knew it, I knew it".
What the hell can you say to someone like that? BTW, in case anyone is wondering what she looked like here's a hint - she is/was a tweaker. I'm talking skinny enough to hula-hoop with a Cheerio. So much for talent.

So, IMHO - Psychics (and Tweakers) are about as useful as Balls on a Priest. Hmmm - maybe I should rephrase that last statement after all the problems the Catholic Church has had with Pedophiles... So what's my point? Click on the link below.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090831/sc_livescience/jayceedugardabductioncasehighlightsfailureofpsychics

No comments: