Friday, April 25, 2008

Look! I'm The Father Of Twins!

I don't know how common this is in the squash world but I'm starting to get some really weird looking squash. The one in this photo I took this morning is a female with 2 stigma and 2 ovaries. In other words it's a twin.

I don't know if it's considered identical or fraternal but I'm starting to wonder if I've got some sort of a mutate plant. I did have a male bud this morning so I pollinated the female.

Maybe it's been exposed to Gamma rays or some other phenomena. Time to call Rod Serling.

2 comments:

Burnt Toast said...

Dude. You have the strangest squash plant on the planet. Make sure you harvest some of the seeds from the fruit for next years crop. It would be interesting to see if you get some of the same oddities next year.

Greasywrench AKA rich b said...

I'm just about finished with this damn squash plant anyway. It had a really weird growth cycle from the start. I thought it had died a couple of months ago so I stopped tending it, and then low-and-behold, it comes back to life.

It's a case of the law of diminishing returns. Too much bullshit for so little reward. My pole beans are up in my other buckets so they get to star in the show. I'll grow another variety of squash (gray Zucchini) later in the Summer.