Monday, April 21, 2008

My Squash Is Having An Identity Crisis

They look like a shitload of bananas but they're actually my squash on a fine Spring morning. One of the squash seems to think it's actually a cucumber. I guess that's understandable since they're from the same plant family - Curcubits.

Only problem is they're supposed to be straight neck yellow squash. Instead of looking like big pickles they should look like large light bulbs. I'm tempted to pick it and use someone else for a Guinea Pig by letting THEM eat it.

I guess I'll give it a few more days. I'm getting warm enough weather now to hand pollinate the female fruit with a Q-Tip. I did a couple that way yesterday. Warmer weather seems to produce more male flowers and I am actually getting a few now. Time and Spring marches on.

2 comments:

Burnt Toast said...

Do you think the plethora of female flowers was due to the colder weather? I suppose it's plausible. Mother Nature is one strange momma!

My tomatoes, which had already begun to bloom, took a bit of a setback after the freeze the other night. I had to prune back some of the damaged greenery and this seems to have stunted them for the time being. On the other hand, my hearty winter greens, the Swiss chard, doubled in size after the cold snap. Go figure.

I guess when all is said and done, we don't know a damn thing and Mother Nature knows it all.

Greasywrench AKA rich b said...

I'm clueless when it comes to problems in my garden. Last Summer I had a good split of male and female flowers. I didn't always have them at the same time and since the female squash are only receptive for one day I had problems in that area.

The other problem I'm having is no Bees. I never truly realized the importance of Bees until I started growing things. Without a lot of males I could sure use a Bee from another garden nearby to carry some pollen to my females. Anyway my squash plant looks like a bunch of bananas to me. Damn things are right on top of each other. Maybe the plant is a mutation. I keep making mistakes but I keep learning.